[tex-live] Add user directory

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 19 21:49:33 CET 2018

On 2018-03-19 at 00:01:40 +0200, Igor Ya. Spectorsky wrote:

 > Hello!
 >
 > I have been using MiKTeX for a long while, but now I have to switch to
 > TeXLive. It was not difficult to download TeXLive and install it on our
 > Windows PC. However, I have some tex macros which are used in my TeX
 > sources. These macros are collected in the separate directory d:\local
 > texmf which is not taught while reinstalling TeX for a new version. Such
 > approach works well with MiKTeX: it was very easy do add user directory
 > and update FNDB. However, within TeXLive I cannot find where and how to
 > change in order to add my directory in FNDB list. I found some config
 > files where are some directory variables described. However, they are
 > not environment vars (not displayed by set command) , so I cannot
 > realized where they are saved.

Hi Igor,
in order to find the directories where TeX Live looks for your local
files type on the command line

  kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFLOCAL
  kpsewhich --var-value=TEXMFHOME

The former is where you put files for all users and the latter is
where you put your personal files.  Both directories are never touched
by TeX Live.

If you add files to TEXMFLOCAL you have to run mktexlsr or texhash
(two names for the same program) in order to update the FNDB.  This is
not necessary for TEXMFHOME.

 > So, the question is: please tell the reference for some docs with
 > more or less detailed instructions how to add my own TeX directory
 > to FNDB list.

You get the TeX Live documentation if you type

  texdoc texlive

More info about texdoc with

  texdoc texdoc

Regards,