[tex-live] Error while installing TeXLive portable on Webserver

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 11:45:10 CET 2018

On 6 March 2018 at 05:43, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I install TL over SSH without root access regularly (even if I know the
> root password I do not install TL as root). I would suspect corruption of
> the file during download, it sometimes happens. The best way is to try
> again. If you have network problems, you can use rsync to obtain your own
> mirror and install t from it. However, I usually have one download problem
> within two or three years.
>
> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://ttsm.icpf.cas.cz/team/wagner.shtml
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

Not everyone has such reliable internet.  Rsync to a private mirror is more
robust
than a direct install.

>> While installing TeXLive via SSH on a webserver (
>> https://www.a2hosting.com/,
>> no root access) I get the following error:
>> - D:unpacking /tmp/JX_bOGH6eg/s6ZbGOLzLd/dvipdfmx.x86_64-linux.tar in
>> /home/nxtsolut/etc/tl
>> - untar: untarring /tmp/JX_bOGH6eg/s6ZbGOLzLd/dvipdfmx.x86_64-linux.tar
>> failed (in /home/nxtsolut/etc/tl)
>> - TLPDB::_install_package: untar failed
>> - Installation failed.

Some sites have rather small /tmp, or have user quotas (and set TMPDIR for
each user to some private place). For a shared machine, allowing users to
write
outside their own storage means one user can cause problems for others.
It is possible some other process filled /tmp while you were installing
TL.

>> More details (full verbose log attached):
>> - Installing TeX Live 2017 from:
>> http://mirror.utexas.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet (verified)
>> - Platform: x86_64-linux => 'GNU/Linux on x86_64'
>> - Using URL: http://mirror.utexas.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet
>>
>> Thanks a lot for any hint. I am totally stuck :-(
>> Regards, Alo

Linux has ways to check free space ("man df") and logs that may not
be visible to ordinary users.  Can you run "dmesg |tail"?  Some
ssh accounts come with a status web page that may let you see
some limited info on storage and workloads.

--
George N. White III