[tex-live] TeXLive-2018 fails to update across firewall

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Wed Jun 20 05:52:01 CEST 2018

>> The error log I’m getting from TeX Live Utility.app seems to indicate that it is unable now to locate wget executable (which is /opt/local/bin/wget and on the PATH).
>
> TeX Live Utility will create a clean environment that does not include /opt/local/bin, in order to force usage of the wget shipped with TeX Live. As far as I recall, the normal Perl LWP download also respects the http_proxy and ftp_proxy environment variables.

I don’t think there was “wget” in “/Library/TeX/texbin” directory. Perhaps that’s the problem???

$ ls -alF /Library/TeX/texbin/wget
ls: /Library/TeX/texbin/wget: No such file or directory
$

In any case, if possible I’d much prefer to use my wget (aka /opt/local/bin/wget).  Also, usually people set env variables for a reason. Perhaps you could add a config option to not clean environment, and use the provided env variables instead?

> TeX Live Utility also sets http_proxy and ftp_proxy environment variables based on the OS X system proxy settings, but it does not do this for https_proxy. That might be a problem for TLU, but wouldn't affect your command-line results.

Don’t know what to say. OS X has the correct proxy settings (for both http and https), as evidenced by the fact that all the relevant apps can access Internet… And as you said - it shouldn’t affect command-line results anyway...