[tex-live] huge extraneous eps file in tlnet

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Thu Jun 7 09:34:11 CEST 2018

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 23:29:46 +0200
Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> The EPS file is quite large because binary data is represeted as
> hexadecimal ASCII data.  Means: two characters per byte and no
> compression.

No, that EPS file is far, far larger than it should be even considering
the loss in compression. That EPS file was probably improperly created
using a high resolution rasterization of the PDF version. Therefore,
unlike the PDF, the EPS file is no longer in vector form.

I went to

https://ctan.org/texarchive/info/latex2e-help-texinfo/latex2e-figures

grabbed a copy of list.pdf, printed it to a .ps file using acrobat reader,
then ran

ps2eps list.ps

which resulted in a good, vector form, EPS file of 200K size.

Edit: In a later post, I see Karl is now working on it. :)

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell