[tex-live] Texlive update failed with signature error

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 5 17:09:58 CEST 2018

Hi

thanks, that explained a lot.

> $ sudo tlmgr -v update --repository http://ctan.crest.fr/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet --list

Try once
  curl http://ctan.crest.fr/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
and you will get
  <title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
  </head><body>
  <h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
So then of course signature verification fails.

You need to use **https://** to use this repository.

It is sooo stupid of the maintainer of the mirror not to provide a
redirect but a template html page :-(((

Bottom line, we must inform the mirror maintainer to kill off this
server.

I tried just now with https and that worked out.

Bottomline: not a problem in our code - or well, more or less, we could
try to check the *content* of the downloaded file and see whether this
is something we expect ... work for the future.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer