[tex-live] TL2018: UTF-8 characters in file names with pdflatex

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:36:30 CEST 2018

On 25 July 2018 at 09:18, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:

> pdflatex is an 8-bit SW, it is not Unicode-aware. It is achieved by active
> characters which break a lot of things. Almost all my older files ceased to
> work with pdflatex and TL2018 .

That's very surprising, you could have reported at least one to the team!

Since the release I have only seen one report of a user file that
generated an error
(and that was silently mos-interpreting non ascii input in older
releases so the error wasn#t really a bad thing)

If you have an example of a conforming document that failed to work
after the 2018 release let us know
at the very least we can add to the documentation to say what to do,
if that is not covered by the existing documentation.

David