[tex-live] TL2018: UTF-8 characters in file names with pdflatex

Dr. Werner Fink werner at suse.de
Wed Jul 25 10:00:57 CEST 2018

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 04:44:13PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi
>
> > I've several reports about not working UTF-8 characters in file names.
> >   pdflatex -file-line-error -interaction=nonstopmode "\input DieÜbung.tex"
>
> I guess this is also a consequence of the recent "minor" change in the LaTeX
> kernel about switching to a default of utf8, see ltnews.pdf, Issue 28, p38.
>
> One needs to use
> 	... "\UseRawInputEncoding \input DieÜbung.tex"
>
> With this on my linux it is working.
>
> How would dare to have non-ascii file names ... tststs ;-)

Ohmmm ... strange that switching to utf8 breaks reading files
which are named with utf8 multi byte characters.  I guess that
now utf8 characters are handled/mapped to the correct font
character glyph.

And indeed \UseRawInputEncoding before \input does help. Does
this mean that I've now hack texi2pdf/texi2dvi as well as AucTex?
Or is it possible that the utf8 based engines also can handle
utf8 characters in file names (utf8x)

Werner