[tex-live] Issue with \textgreater and lualatex

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Tue Jul 17 12:14:05 CEST 2018

Hi Karl,

Le 17 juil. 2018 à 01:53, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :

>    On first sight modifying all {} into \/
>
> Using \/ to break ff ligatures is sensible, but I doubt it's ideal to
> insert an italic correction in general if the only goal is to break the
> liagture. At least, I would check the output to be sure it doesn't look
> weird. You never know what ic value might end up in the font. \kern0pt
> or similar might be safer. -k

Thanks, actually I possibly need this only for a few very specific case,
\textgreater, \textless, not checked yet if others.

I must be careful though that in my context (where the LaTeX is produced
out of some other mark-up), there is a notion of "parsed literal", which
is some sort of "alltt", and in that environment I redefined \textgreater
and \textless to insert discretionaries to allow linebreaks, and I will
have to check how \/ will behave there.

This is not extremely urgent matter as the set of lualatex users in my
context is probably nil, but I will have to do it at some point.

It is a bit annoying though that the same LaTeX mark-up produces different
results according to engine, I have to live with it, the main problem is
for long-term maintenance by fellow contributors who will be even
less LaTeX-savvy than I am. I expect my LaTeX contributions there will
be seen in awe for decades to come and never modified... so I have to
get them right to start with :).

Best,

Jean-François