[tex-live] Tutorial for setting up own TeX Live package repositories seems outdated

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:21:33 CET 2018

On 19 February 2018 at 13:03, M.Eng. René Schwarz wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
>
>> I don't think that we have that many users setting up their own TL
>> package repository on a server running cygwin.
>
> just to clarify: I am not running a server using Cygwin. I am just
> preparing the package repository on a Windows machine, which is working
> perfectly fine. The repository contents are then distributed via a Linux
> server.

OK, but my modified statement still stands. I still don't think we
have that many users running scripts to set up their own TL package
repository on cygwin :) :) :)

> I also think that this is not the point. The question should be if it
> makes sense to set the `svn:eol-style` to native if all
> Bourne-compatible shells expect Unix line endings.

Just for "completeness". I did a subversion checkout in msys2 about a
month ago. The subversion installed by msys2 (/usr/bin/svn) apparently
resulted in linux-style line endings despite running subversion on a
Windows machine. The config-guess script returns x86_64-pc-mingw64
(not that it would be relevant in any way).

But I tried running unix2dos and the script keeps working even after that:

$ file ./source/build-aux/config.guess
./source/build-aux/config.guess: POSIX shell script, ASCII text executable

$ ./source/build-aux/config.guess
x86_64-pc-mingw64

$ unix2dos.exe ./source/build-aux/config.guess
unix2dos: converting file ./source/build-aux/config.guess to DOS format...

$ ./source/build-aux/config.guess
x86_64-pc-mingw64

$ file ./source/build-aux/config.guess
./source/build-aux/config.guess: POSIX shell script, ASCII text
executable, with CRLF line terminators

Karl was just wondering why you would be the first one running into
that problem.
I agree that it makes no sense to set 'svn:eol-style' for shell
scripts, but I would also tend to agree that one should file a bug in
cygwin's bug tracker if it's not capable of dealing with windows-style
line endings.

On msys2:

$ sh --version
GNU bash, version 4.4.19(1)-release (x86_64-pc-msys)

A note to you though: if you happen to prepare the repository on
windows machine with the same settings as you are using now, linux
users will probably get other/regular files from subversion
repositories with windows line endings. Whether or not that's ok /
desirable is up to you of course. (Super off-topic: I had lots of
troubles with line endings after converting a git repository to
mercurial and VisualStudio helpfully insisting in auto-converting line
endings in all edited files. It's so super annoying if some tools
ignore line endings and others insist in using exactly what they
consider the correct form. Not that Windows, HG or VS would be my
favourite choice of tools, but sometimes one needs compromises.)

Mojca

PS: I haven't used or checked or touched cygwin since at least a
decade or longer, but msys2 is awesome and I have a feeling that it
plays more nicely with the system (no X11 though).