[tex-live] Making texts externally replaceable in PDFs, e.g. with sed(1)

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Dec 17 14:26:46 CET 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 12:25:03PM +0100, Osipov, Michael wrote:
> It simply contradicts XeLaTeX's approach to work with Unicode fonts only, if
> available. IMHO.

  But that’s only best practice, not a technical requirement.  I would
argue that you can’t afford to follow best practice here because you’ve
already made (if implicitly) the decision to find technical solutions to
what is fundamentally a human problem.  The idea of post-processing PDF
files with sed is, quite frankly, insane, and shows a poor understanding
of the PDF format and the technical requirements for automated
typesetting.

  Since you’ve apparently given up -- and I can understand why you would
-- on convincing the team responsible for post-processing to adopt a
better approach, you need to make the best possible use of the tools at
your disposal in this abnormal situation.  Using an 8-bit font with
XeTeX is a reasonable price to pay, and won’t hurt its feelings :-)

	Best,

		Arthur