[tex-live] pdfnup (pdfTeX) error

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Dec 14 00:48:52 CET 2018

On 2018-12-13 at 21:09:31 +0100, Orm Finnendahl wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 >  pdfnup stops with an error on any pdf file.

It works here like a charm.  I'm using TeX Live 2018 from tug.org on
x86_64-linux.

 > Issuing "pdfnup <pdf-filename>" results in the following log entry of
 > pdfTeX:
 >
 > [1
 > ! pdfTeX error (\pdfsetmatrix): Unrecognized format..
 > \AtBegShi at Output ...ipout \box \AtBeginShipoutBox
 >                                                   \fi \fi

This is strange.  \pdfsetmatrix is a documented primitive of pdfTeX
and pdfTeX is stable for years.  I don't know what "Unrecognized
format" means.  The only way to spot it is to examine the source code.

Could you save the pdftex binary provided by Arch Linux somehow and
replace it with the latest release of

  https://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/x86_64-linux/pdftex

and try again?

I just did and can confirm that it still works as expected.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de