[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 12 01:51:00 CET 2018

On 2018-12-11 at 10:49:14 -0800, George Georgalis wrote:

 > I don't do windows,

Congratulations!

 > I do not know how tlmgr works, but my first guess at enabling "lua"
 > to pass a security audit would be to distribute it without
 > os.execute() and similar functions. Sure that would be a formidable
 > effort.

Not at all.  TeX Live can't work without texlua's os.execute().  tlmgr
is written in Perl but how should it work if it's not able to invoke
fmtutil, updmap, wget, curl, etc?  There is absolutely no way to avoid
system(3).

 > Is there any kind of chroot 	jail already available in the store? If
 > so that would be a place to start.

chroot on Windows?  Are you joking?  Windows is one of the prehistoric
operating systems from the late 60ies or early 70ies which still lacks
a hierarchical file system, etc.  Don't know how old you are but do you
know what a "drive letter" is?

 > I really didn't mean to use 'docker' but to use a 'minimalist
 > container like framework' (such as..).

Could you investigate?  The main problem I see is that programs in
such containers do not cooperate very well with programs outside.
Suppose that you create a PDF file within such a container.  How do
you pass the PDF file to Adobe Reader installed on native Windows?

You said:

 > Well, I'm not particularly interested in contributing to a
 > "community" that rejects my comments about a framing a viable
 > solution with pessimism and cynicism.

Come on, you are living in a fantasy world if you believe that
everything can be accomplished on Windows as simple as on Unix.

Our pessimism is justified because we know what we are talking about.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de