[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Dec 11 23:51:59 CET 2018

On 2018-12-11 at 17:25:44 +0000, Philip Taylor wrote:

 > Philip Taylor wrote:
 >
 >         A large fraction of the TeX community has already rejected
 >         Windows.
 >
 >     Are you able to support that statement by reference to
 >     published statistics, George ?
 >
 > For example, by analysis of fetches of the TeX Live installer, the
 > ISO, and so on.  Where the fetch is made using a browser, the host
 > platform is often exposed in the user-agent string; I do not know
 > if the same is true of (e.g.,) "rsynch" fetches.  If these analyses
 > are available, it would be interesting to see what changes (if any)
 > there have been over time.

Hello Phil,
yes, if all people download TeX Live from CTAN, nothing is easier than
writing a script which evaluates the log files.

But HTTP requests are usually redirected to CTAN mirrors and we can't
run any script there.  If you want to know how many people are using
TeX on a particular system, you also have to get statistics from the
MiKTeX server too.  And most Linux users are using the TeX Live
distribution provided by the package tool.  Only those Linux users who
really need the latest packages install TeX Live from tug.org.

And don't worry about rsync users.  You are most likely the only one.

I fear that it's impossible to do statistics this way.  On the other
hand I'm convinced that such statistics are not very useful at all in
the context of TeX Live.  TeX Live is supposed to be a system for
*all* users, not only for *most* users.  Hence such statistics cannot
have any impact on TeX Live development.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de