[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 20:53:10 CET 2018

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 at 13:18, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> George N. White III wrote:
>
> A large fraction of the TeX community has already rejected Windows.
>

> Are you able to support that statement by reference to published
> statistics, George ?
> Philip Taylor

Meaningful statistics are hard to get   Tex Live (and MacOS) is available
in many linux
distros as well as macports, and will be installed thru dependencies on
systems
that are not used for authoring documents (e.g., to format documentation
when installing
a package from source).  In some cases the user will see a TeX system being
installed
without knowing how it is used.  As a result,  the number of TeX installs
in linux systems
is not at all comparable to the numbers of TeX (e.g., MiKTeX + TL) on
Windows where most
installs are done by authors.

All I can go on is my own anecdotal experience.   I'm recently retired from
a scientific research
institute.  Although Windows was the "corporate standard", many scientists
found ways to
run TeX on MacOS or linux systems due to bad experiences using Windows.
An example
is a system that was initially configured with MiKTeX in a way that
required admin
privs to install updates or new packages, but there were also problems with
scripting
languages (bash, perl, sed, awk) being used to automate some aspect of
document creation.

--
George N. White III