[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:07:22 CET 2018

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 at 11:59, Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Le 11/12/18 à 00h40, Norbert Preining a écrit :
>
> >> Okay :) Anyway, the president of TUG should (re)act about this, no?
> >
> > hahaha, Imagine AWS or so
> >
> >       Dear Jeff,
> >       I'm the president of the TeX User Group, an extremely powerful
> >       User Group of an Open Source Product with about a few thousand
> >       members. I am very disappointed how Amazon treats our services,
> >       and would like to ask you to update your system to properly
> >       support TeX.
>
> Okay, okay :)) I meant the president of TUG should at least warn the TeX
> community.

A large fraction of the TeX community has already rejected Windows.   The
group most at risk is students who either choose the cheapest "Windows
laptop" in the store or are encouraged by their school to purchase a
specific
configuration that provides S-mode.

A user of Microsoft R Open (MRO) was informed it is not and will not be
available
for Windows 10 S: https://github.com/Microsoft/microsoft-r-open/issues/65

There will be a long list of widely used cross-platform apps that will not
be
available on Windows 10 S.  Proponents of alternative OS's should be
working ensure their OS can be used on systems being sold with Win 10 S.
Then cross-platform apps can mention this option.

--
George N. White III