[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Dec 11 17:33:58 CET 2018

George N. White III wrote:
> [...]
>
> I doubt the open source community will have any impact on the marketing of cheap
> Windows 10 S boxes.

I completely agree with that analysis, which is one reason why my draft letter makes no mention of "Open Source".

> The focus should be on: warning people planning to use TL
> on Windows 10 that they need to avoid 10 S, improving web-based systems that can
> be used on low end 10 S, and providing pointers to alternative OS's (e.g., linux, BSD,
> and MacOS) for people who have used TL but find themselves forced onto Windows10 S.

I would supplement that advising those who are in a position to do so to resist Windows 10 at all costs, and to stay with Windows 7 for as long as possible.  It is by means inconceivable, given Microsoft's track record to date, that by the time all support for Windows 7 is discontinued there will be a new version of Windows, with a version number greater than 10, which once again offers a professional user interface rather than one targetted at games players, casual users, and those who have never heard of programs or software but rejoice in their ever-increasing collection of "apps".

Philip Taylor