[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 11 14:50:46 CET 2018

Le 11/12/18 à 00h30, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :

> Some years ago a LaTeX teacher at Hannover University said that he's
> using Linux exclusively.  Most participants of his course preferred
> Windows and he was quite amazed that everything works exactly the same
> way on both systems.  Nice to hear.  Denis, I suppose that your
> experience is similar.

Indeed. About 15 years ago, I used to provide ProTeXt for Windows users,
and TeX Live (or maybe teTeX) for Linux users. Because I didn't own
a Windows computer, it was a pain to provide both. At some point,
I noticed TeX Live could be used by Windows users as well so moved to
TeX Live only which worked /almost/ the same way on both systems: on
Windows, it used to be 6 times longer to install than on Linux :)

> Denis, I suppose that your student encountered the S mode problem
> because he had a brand new Windows installation and TeX Live was the
> first 3rd party program he tried to install.

Indeed.

> I'm only a stupid engineer

Engineer is enough... I'm joking, of course! :)

> but cannot live without GNU Octave.

Really?!

> Do math students nowadays rely entirely on Microsoft Excel and
> Microsoft's pocket calculator and thus can live with S mode?  I can't
> imagine.

They will probably first try to stay with the S-mode and look for free
apps in the Microsoft's store. Maybe, one day...

Regards.
--
Denis