[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Richard Koch richardmoncriefkoch at icloud.com
Mon Dec 10 16:07:31 CET 2018

I'm a Macintosh user with no dog in this fight.

The s-mode restrictions on Windows are analogous to the iPad restrictions in my world. The solution in that case was not to make TeX-Live run, but instead to convert TeX to an internal library within a GUI interface, so no calls to other programs were needed. This approach ran into problems with the GPL, but eventually and with enormous work a couple of developers overcame these problems.
See Texpad iOS and TeX Writer, both in the Apple Store.

I'm willing to bet that those developers are well aware of s-mode and their approaches will be the ultimate way TeX arrives on s-mode machines. I do not see this as a threat to TeX Live.

When the iPad was introduced, the canonical answer to "how do you do TeX" was to typeset over the network. But it wasn't long until iPad users wanted the typesetting engine to live on their machine. It is all too common to attend conferences and find the the network isn't working, or isn't available to visitors.

Richard Koch