[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 09:56:54 CET 2018

ne 9. 12. 2018 v 9:30 odesílatel Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> napsal:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
> Probably not, MS provides its new installer for the store and I hope
> it will be free as nowaday's installers are. However, TeX, Metafont,
> MetaPost and all other parts of TL are command line apps, they will
> have to be redesigned. Update will not be possible by tlmgr.
> Everything will have to be different, so it will be a new distro TL-S.
> I am afraid there is no manpower to do it.
>

> Well, Windows devotee that I am, I would fully accept that last part.  Using Windows $n$, for $n > 7$, is a self-inflicted injury, and one for which I have no sympathy whatsoever.  I bought a new workstation (a Fujitsu Celsius) recently, and had to deliberately order a back model so that the processor would be Windows-7-updates compatible.

I think there is no need to worry, the newer processors can run the
older code if you have the subsystem instaled. The 64-bit processors
are able to run a 32-bit code. They would also be able to run a 16-bit
code if a 16-bit subsystem were installed. It was available in Windows
2000 but then it was removed. 64-bit Linux distros do not have the
32-bit libraries as default but they can be installed if a user needs
to use older software which is not OpenSource. I even have a 32-bit
Linux installed in VirtualBox so that I can compile SW for old
computers and verify that it works. Of course, in some $n$ Microsoft
can decide to remove some system calls so the old apps will have to be
redesigned and the new system calls will not be available in Windows
7. This can happen but I am not afraid in processor incompatibility.
The worst problem is caused by other hardware parts, graphics,
printers etc. It may happen that drivers will now longer be available
for Windows 7 so users will be force to upgrade. I run my Windows 7 in
VirtualBox installed in Linux so I will always have compatible
hardware emulated by VirtualBox.

> ** Phil.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz