[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Dec 8 23:28:29 CET 2018

On 2018-12-07 at 16:29:30 +0100, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

 > On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 04:24:32PM +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
 > > Most probably. Maybe the certificate is not so expensive
 >
 >   I donÕt think anyone is seriously contemplating that, I was more
 > thinking of having the installer script switch out of S mode
 > itself, maybe after a prompt to the user.  This is already
 > considerably better than having to instruct users to do it
 > themselves.

I fear that it's impossible to avoid users from being bothered.  TeX
Live never touches the operating system except Windows, where it
slightly modifies the environment.  This is harmless, especially
because these changes are done with care.  None of these changes have
an impact on any other program.

Switching out of S mode is a quite drastic step and shouldn't be done
by the installer.  I doubt that it's possible without admin
permissions.  Please also note that, as far as I understand, an IT
department can decide on which machine S mode can be turned off or
not.  This means that on particular machines TeX Live cannot be
installed at all.

If the installer is able to detect in advance whether S mode is
enforced, it should abort with a more meaningful error message than
just "permission denied".  I fear that this is all that can be done
and I don't know how difficult it is to detect S mode within a Perl
script.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25