[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Denis Bitouzé denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr
Sat Dec 8 08:32:36 CET 2018

Le 07/12/18 à 21h01, David Carlisle a écrit :

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 20:45, Denis Bitouzé
> <denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr> wrote:

>> > MS is trying to lock users into the MS Store by this. But due to the
>> > limited software, most users will need to "leave the S-mode", which
>> > makes it a useless complication.
>>
>> I see. I fully agree.
>> --
>> Denis
>>
> the S mode isn't really aimed at readers of this list but I don't
> think we need to be negative about it, Operating system isn't always
> an end user choice.

I think we need to be negative if it is so much constraining.

> Even if it is  a user choice, if someone buys something like a surface
> go with a locked down s mode operating system and no commandline
> possibilities and very few possibilities for installing software,
> telling them to disable s mode may not be the best advice if they
> don't want a commandline,

In the LaTeX case, the commandline is often hidden by TeX IDEs. So
users may both want LaTeX and not want commandline

> especially as they can't undo that change...

That's the point: too much constraining.

> In many ways something like overleaf is a far more natural fit for
> such a machine, and steering people in that direction may be a better
> alternative than telling them to reconfigure their operating system.

Except that, IMHO, Overleaf's editor provides too few features compared
to real IDEs, such as Emacs or TeXstudio.

Moreover, I guess the student who encountered this problem doesn't have
enough money for an Internet subscription with an Internet Service
Provider and has only a limited Internet access with his cell phone.
--
Denis