[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:01:15 CET 2018

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 20:45, Denis Bitouzé
<denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr> wrote:

> >> I don't see what you mean here.
> >
> > MS is trying to lock users into the MS Store by this. But due to the
> > limited software, most users will need to "leave the S-mode", which
> > makes it a useless complication.
>
> I see. I fully agree.
> --
> Denis

the S mode isn't really aimed at readers of this list but I don't
think we need to be negative about it, Operating system isn't always
an end user choice.

Even if it is  a user choice, if someone buys something like a surface
go with a locked down s mode operating system and no commandline
possibilities and very few possibilities for installing software,
telling them to disable s mode may not be the best advice if they
don't want a commandline, especially as they can't undo that change...

In many ways something like overleaf is a far more natural fit for
such a machine, and steering people in that direction may be a better
alternative than telling them to reconfigure their operating system.

David

David