[tex-live] install-tl-windows.bat unavailable in Microsoft Store

Denis Bitouzé denis.bitouze at univ-littoral.fr
Fri Dec 7 14:55:25 CET 2018

Hi,

a student of mine had a quite irritating problem this morning when he
tried to install TL 2018 by running `install-tl-windows.bat' from the
`texlive2018.iso' file: its Windows 10 (Professional I guess) didn't
accept to run it and displayed the following message:

  ┌────
  │ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode
  └────

This student had to get the (hopefully with no charge) "Switch out of
S mode" program (or extension, or whatever) and to accept that
"[s]witching out of S mode is one-way" and that "mak[ing] the switch,
[he] won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode".

I would be very surprised that the TL team would be able to make
`install-tl-windows.bat' become an app available in the Microsoft Store.
So this S(ecurity or hit?) mode will sadly refrain people from
installing TeX on their Windows computer...

All the best.
--
Denis