[tex-live] Building the "TeX in Practice" format and saving it in a sensible location

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 11:57:58 CET 2018

po 3. 12. 2018 v 11:37 odesílatel Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> napsal:

> David, Joseph, Norbert, Reinhard — Thank you all for your suggestions, all of which are helpful/noted.  A brief reply to some points that are perhaps of interest :
>
> [NP] This if fmtutil/mktexfmt [is used] which rightly writes to TEXMFVAR (or
> TEXMFSYSVAR if you use the -sys (or --sys) switch).
>

> OK, I  used neither of fmtutil/mktexfmt explicitly, but simply typed :
>
> XeTeX ^&texip
>
> I have now tried using the "-sys" qualifier with XeTeX and see that it is not recognised, and therefore "fmtutil" still tries to create a format under c:/users/philip taylor.fujitsu-pc/.texlive2018/
>
> D:\TeX\Live\2018>xetex -sys ^&texipexp
> xetex: unrecognized option `-sys'
> fmtutil [INFO]: writing formats under c:/users/philip taylor.fujitsu-pc/.texlive
> 2018/texmf-var/web2c

xetex -help does not offer -sys at least on my computer. Anyway, the
binary .fmt files are not generally portable and are not portable from
one year to another (they may be portable but you cannot rely on it).
this is the reason why you should have a specific .fmt for a specific
binary.

> so it does not look (to me) as if on-the-fly format creation can be instructed to save its results in a TEXMFSYS... tree.
> [RK] > Hmmm, "man" :  no such command under Windows !
>
> It's a pity.
>

> Well, I think I might reasonably reply that "it's a pity" that Unix systems don't have a "HELP" command !  And how is it, in these days of Political Correctness Gone Mad, that Unix systems have not moved with the times and replaced "man" by "person" ?!
>
> ** Phil.

In fact, after alias person=man you have person as an alias, you can
also define alias woman=man and alias help=man and store it in your
profile so you can have whatever you like.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz