[tex-live] Is the TeX Live 2018 installer (for Windows) considerably slower than previous years

Philip Taylor (RH-UoL) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Aug 27 17:21:08 CEST 2018

Hallo Lars —

Lars Madsen wrote:

> How exactly are you installing from the local copy?
>
> Here is what I do:
>

> Inside the rsynced copy of the tlnet structure I run the copy of the
> installer found there.
>
> The installation material is automatically detected as being in a
> relative folder (relative to the location of install-tl-advanced.bat)
> and it automatically uses the local one.
>
> Have you instead unzipped the rsynced copy of install-tl.zip
>
> and is running the installer from the generated folder? Because that
> will never pick up the local installation folder.

No, I haven't unzipped that file at all.  I am now re-installing using
"Install-TL-Advanced.bat", and all seems to be proceeding smoothly; I
suspect that on the previous occasion I may, in an attempt to avoid the
need to specify the root directory as three separate components, I ran
the installer executable directly rather than via the CMD file (I didn't
success in my attempt, but that is nonetheless probably what happened).

> the installer that is right there. It should be the same as in the zip
> file anyway.

Yes, it is indeed now installing cleanly — I just hope it completes
without error !
** Phil.