[tex-live] huge pdflatex output

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Mon Aug 20 23:31:48 CEST 2018

 >|To be fair, pdflatex has always produced outputs that
 >|are much bigger than what xelatex and lualatex do.

Ten times bigger?

 >|This issue here was raised because I noticed that
 >|pdflatex in texlive 2018 with an updated Alegreya package
 >|produces a pdf output about twice the size of what
 >|pdlatex in texlive 2017 did with the Alegreya package
 >|that existed then. My suspicion is that this difference
 >|is caused by the updated Alegreya package, but Bob (the
 >|maintainer of Alegreya) thinks differently.

As I said: >|> Similar results with other font families.

For example, fira-samples.tex

pdflatex:  1279931
latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf: 162332
latex -> dvipdfmx: 113158
xelatex: 125512

I can't see any reason why the recent alegreya update could
affect the size of the pdflatex output unless pdflatex isn't
subsetting the embedded type 1 fonts and these have become
much larger.

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of "old"
alegreya packages. A package I have from 2013 doesn't
support the Sans family yet the pdflatex output is twice the
size of that of any other processor.

Bob