[tex-live] Current TeX Live Utility fails to update

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at me.com
Fri Aug 3 17:10:54 CEST 2018

> On Aug 2, 2018, at 23:22 , Uri Blumenthal <uri at mit.edu> wrote:
>
> My PATH was set so that MacTeX (/Library/TeX/bin) was ahead of /opt/local/bin, precisely for that reason (and that's why running tlmgr from the Terminal worked).
>
> Completely removing /opt/local/bin seems impractical, as that's where the current Perl, Python, and GnuPG live (and for GnuPG the only alternative location is /usr/local/MacGPG2/bin).
>
> Path sanitization killed the MacTeX location, leaving available only Macports kpsewhich.

No, your /etc/paths customization killed TeX Live, and your complaining is pushing me close to ignoring /etc/paths in future.

> I suspect there can be issues with curl as well, because the version included with MacOS is less than perfect.
>
> I think that allowing the user to specify which executables to use (instead of basing these decisions on directory path alone) would be better. Example: working kpsewhich is in /Library/TeX/bin, working wget, curl and gpg - in /opt/local/bin...

I also thought that when I first released TeX Live Utility a decade ago. Unfortunately, it was impractical. Broken Python installs alone have taken days of tedious email exchanges like this to debug, so now it's mostly childproofed against clever or absentminded users.

-- adam