[tex-live] FInding locally installed packages in different environments

Urs Liska lists at openlilylib.org
Thu Apr 19 17:12:13 CEST 2018

Am 19.04.2018 um 17:04 schrieb Norbert Preining:
>> I think I didn't explicitly state that we use LuaLaTeX, but I asked if the
>> different engines behave differently in this respect.
>> And I recall from earlier questions that having at least ony actual
>> directory available was necessary for LuaLaTeX to follow symlinks to find
>> fonts. It seems this also goes for regular files.
>>
>> To what extent is this known behaviour? And is this *acceptable* behaviour?
>> Or did I even misunderstood anything and it now works by accident?
> I never heard about this, but IMNSHO this is absolutely unacceptable
> behaviour.

Hm, I should have searched my tex.stackexchange account before ...
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/132908/fontspec-search-path-in-texmfhome

 From Ulrike's answer it should be clear that the issue is not limited
to fonts but general.
Now I also see that ~/texmf/tex/latex in *my* installation contains an
empty hidden directory ...

I still find it extremely strange that this should be "irremediable" ...

Urs