[tex-live] ctan-o-mat in 2018 pretest

Gerd Neugebauer gene at gerd-neugebauer.de
Sat Apr 14 08:58:25 CEST 2018

> On 14 April 2018 at 01:10 Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> wrote:

> On 2018-04-14 at 00:22:54 +0200, Gerd Neugebauer wrote:

[...]
>  > BTW. I have reworked ctan-o-mat to hide the perl script and make it
>  > more fail safe. But this hasn't made it to CTAN yet.

> Hi Gerd,

Hi Reinhard,

> what does "to hide the perl script" mean?

This means it is less prominent that the program is perl. I have eiminated the wrapper script for Unix by renaming the perl script to its base name and adapting the shebang line.
[...]
> The wrapper script (ctan-o-mat) isn't needed.  If properly installed,
> TeX Live creates symlinks to *.pl files in bin/<platform> directories
> for all Unix systems and a runscript wrapper in bin/win32 which also
> makes the Perl shipped with TeX Live visible to the script.

ctan-o-mat is not TeX Live-only. I make a program which is supposed to work almost everywhere. It's ok if TeX Live integrates it any way desirable. But this does not relieve me from supporting the rest of the world.

> All you have to do is to provide the .pl file.

It will be still there for anyone to use it.

> For more info about the wrapper for Windows, see the comments in
>
>   http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/win32/runscript.tlu

I have my own wrapper for windows (for non-TeX Live) which I have rewritten from scratch. I managed to test it at least rudimentary.

> Please note that the Perl for Windows shipped with TL doesn't contain
> all the packages available from CPAN.  It's advisable to test the
> script on Windows.

I am aware of this. I tried to use only few and stable modules

> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Ciao
Gerd