[tex-live] ctan-o-mat in 2018 pretest

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Apr 14 01:10:09 CEST 2018

On 2018-04-14 at 00:22:54 +0200, Gerd Neugebauer wrote:

 > > On 14 April 2018 at 00:13 David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 > > running ctan-o-mat  (from anywhere) in cygwin tl pretest  I get the error
 >
 > > $ ctan-o-mat
 > > Can't open perl script
 > > "/usr/local/texlive/2018/bin/x86_64-cygwin/ctan-o-mat.pl": No such
 > > file or directory
 > [...]
 > > not sure if this is an issue with the upstrean ctan-o-mat or the
 > > way it's packaged in TL?
 >
 > This seems pretty sure to be a problem of the packaging.
 >
 > BTW. I have reworked ctan-o-mat to hide the perl script and make it
 > more fail safe. But this hasn't made it to CTAN yet.

Hi Gerd,
what does "to hide the perl script" mean?

BTW, the preferred shebang line (in ctan-o-mat.pl) is

  #!/usr/bin/env perl

This allows that Perl is found in PATH.  Some users might have a newer
version of Perl in /usr/local/bin.

The wrapper script (ctan-o-mat) isn't needed.  If properly installed,
TeX Live creates symlinks to *.pl files in bin/<platform> directories
for all Unix systems and a runscript wrapper in bin/win32 which also
makes the Perl shipped with TeX Live visible to the script.

All you have to do is to provide the .pl file.

For more info about the wrapper for Windows, see the comments in

  http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/win32/runscript.tlu

Please note that the Perl for Windows shipped with TL doesn't contain
all the packages available from CPAN.  It's advisable to test the
script on Windows.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25