[tex-live] FInding locally installed packages in different environments

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:48:41 CEST 2018

Hi,

it depends on your configuration whether you need mktexlsr or not. The
paths are configured in texmf.cnf. If the path begins with two exclamation
marks, only the ls-R file is used for locating the file. This means that
mktexlsr is needed. If the path does not have exclamation marks which is
the case of $TEXMFHOME, ls-R files are not used. It is described in detail
in the documentation of kpathsea, I do not remember the exact details. The
location of $TEXMFHOME can be found by kpsewhich. So if you wish to provide
the files for non-experts, it would be better to provide a script which
will first locate itself, then locate $TEXMFHOME, create the directories
(if they do not exist) and create the symlink. The command you need is:

kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFHOME

Variables TEXMF and TEXMFDBS contain the paths with exclamation marks. If
the path is here with the exlamation marks, you must call mktexlsr after
creation of the symlink.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz