[tex-live] kpsewhich case insensitive?

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Sat Apr 7 00:14:31 CEST 2018

Le 06/04/18 à 21h46, Karl Berry a écrit :

>     Is it the intended behavior? (I hope not)
>
> Yes, it is.

Sigh...

> I wrote a new section in the Kpathsea manual explaining it
> (Casefolding search), besides my various previous messages.

Read carefully tomorrow (not enough time this evening).

> To turn it off in your case, there are two choices:
>
> 1) set the config/envvar texmf_casefold_search to 0;

Sounds appealing! :)

> 2) specify TEXMFHOME with a leading !! in texmf.cnf, that is, using
> ls-R (thus requiring you to run mktexlsr when any files are added or
> removed, thus probably better not to do this.)

Indeed, doesn't sound appealing! :)

> Well, there is 3) renaming your case-conflicting file, but you already
> knew that.

Okay.

But I (and other users) could be bitten because of files they forgot or
they don't realize they could be conflicting (nearly happened to
me).

Hence why not the other way round: `texmf_casefold_search' 0 by default
and and letting users who want `kpathsea' insensitive to set it to 1?

> You can thank Apple and its users for inflicting this pain.

They are so much powerful? ;)

All the best.
--
Denis