[tex-live] Announce: TeX Live on AWS Lambda

Sam O'Connor sam at octech.com.au
Tue Apr 3 05:17:04 CEST 2018

> On 3 Apr 2018, at 10:13 am, Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info> wrote:
>
> If you don't need that, you could also do
>  tlmgr remove --force luatex
> to get rid of all of luatex, not only the binaries.

This works if I also use `tlpdbopt_autobackup 0`.
Without that option removing luatex does not decrease the installation size.

> On 3 Apr 2018, at 10:37 am, Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info> wrote:
>
> What is "absolute minimum"? That is impossible to define. Only the
> engines and one needs to build formats by hand? Which languages? Which
> fonts? Which packages? There is no way to fix this once and for all,
> thus we refrain from doing so.

True. The minimum is not generally knowable.
Maybe tlmgr could have a simple clean option that just removes the cached tlpdb.

> On 3 Apr 2018, at 10:38 am, Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info> wrote:
>
>> ​Please be aware, that some package authors might object against having the
>> documentation stripped away for the actual codse.
>
> Yes, that is what I mentioned. But since it is run in a purely automated
> environment without a user being able to ask for documentation, I guess
> it is fine in this case.

I’m assuming that the packages in question are distributed under the terms of the LPPL.
There is no intention of redistributing any of the packages, so my interpretation is that the only applicable clauses are 1 and 5:

“1. Activities other than distribution and/or modification of the Work are not covered by this license; they are outside its scope. In particular, the act of running the Work is not restricted and no requirements are made concerning any offers of support for the Work.”

“5. If you are not the Current Maintainer of the Work, you may modify your copy of the Work, thus creating a Derived Work based on the Work, and compile this Derived Work, thus creating a Compiled Work based on the Derived Work."

So we could think of a stripped-down installation as a modification, or as a compiled work ("processed into a form where it is directly usable on a computer system”). In either case, modification, compiling, running and offers of support are all unrestricted in the absence of distribution.

Uwe, if you believe that creating a stripped down installation is something that package authors might view as being outside the terms of the licence, I would like to understand why and try to do things in a way that complies with the license.

Regards,

Sam