[tex-live] behaviour of kpsewhich on case-insensitive mac system

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Tue Sep 19 08:25:09 CEST 2017

Le 19 sept. 2017 à 01:04, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> a écrit :

>> Included images are the greatest problem. If I get a document
>> created on Windows, it rarely works on my Linux computer and
>> I have to fix names in \input and \includegraphics.
>
> Sorry for the incompatibility with other platforms.
> However, I will not change the present behaviors
> on windows.
>
> PS:
> If example-image-a.pdf is in the current directory,
> or in a directory for which there is not ls-R,
> kpsewhich example-image-A.pdf
> probably returns
> ./example-image-A.pdf

Hi,

confirmed on my mac os 10.9.5

$ touch example-image-a.pdf

$ kpsewhich example-image-A.pdf
./example-image-A.pdf

and then

$ mv example-image-a.pdf ~/Library/texmf/source/latex/

$ kpsewhich example-image-A.pdf
/Users/xyxyxy/Library/texmf/tex/latex/example-image-A.pdf

$ kpsewhich Example-Image-a.pdf
/Users/jfb/Library/texmf/tex/latex/Example-Image-a.pdf

However, when I try Philip's examples:

$ kpsewhich plain.tex
/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/plain/base/plain.tex

$ kpsewhich plaiN.tex

$ kpsewhich Plain.tex

$ kpsewhich plain.TEX

i.e. I can't reproduce Justin's duplication on Mac of Philip's
findings on Windows

If I move my pseudo example-image-a.pdf to ~/Library/texmf/doc/
from ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/

kpsewhich example-image-a.pdf

finds the real one in 2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/mwe/

and then

kpsewhich example-image-A.pdf

finds nothing.

I am on Mac OS 10.9.5 with TeXLive 2017's kpsewhich (other binaries
such as pdftex are from MacPorts)

Best,

Jean-François