[tex-live] that nasty \undefined in supp-pdf.mkii again

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Oct 24 05:14:37 CEST 2017

Dear all,

back in 2010 (!!!) https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-March/025102.html
I complained about the fact that a minimal tex document
  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{graphicx}
  \newcommand{\undefined}{\textbf{undefined}}
  \begin{document}
  This is an \undefined\ command.
  \end{document}
does not work anymore. This was due to the auto-loading of supp-pdf.mkii
that was introduced in TL2009 (or so).

The reason is that supp-pdf.mkii uses
  \ifx\writestatus\undefined
to check for an undefined commands.

I argued that this is wrong to do it this way, especially since this
is loaded now in LaTeX. See
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-March/025107.html

There was the conclusion that pdftex.def should deal with this and
Heiko send a fixed pftex.def:
https://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-March/025126.html

I tested that and it worked.

But alas here we are in 2017 and a colleague just asked me the very same
question, because he writes a logic text book and uses \undefined as
a macro.

Can we somehow work that out again?

All the best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer