[tex-live] No user prompting asking for PATH adjustment after pretest install?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Wed May 10 08:29:15 CEST 2017

Hi Karl:

>    At the end of all this I was surprised not to see any message
>    about updating my PATH for 2017 location.
>
> I still see the usual message after a test install:
>    Most importantly, add /tmp/ki/bin/x86_64-linux
>    to your PATH for current and future sessions.
>
> I can't explain why you didn't see it, since I doubt you have the envvar
> TEXLIVE_INSTALL_NO_WELCOME set. (Which explicitly omits the msg.)

indeed I don't have this envvar set

> It's printed in this loop around current line 597 of install-tl, if you
> want to delve into it ... --best, karl.

I made another try this morning with the minimal scheme
and the installation did finish with what was not seen
yesterday:

**** <start of quote>
Enter command: I
Installing to: /usr/local/texlive/foo
Installing [01/56, time/total: ??:??/??:??]: amsfonts [4725k]
Installing [02/56, time/total: 00:00/00:00]: bibtex [389k]
Installing [03/56, time/total: 00:01/00:04]: bibtex.x86_64-darwinlegacy [75k]
Installing [04/56, time/total: 00:01/00:04]: cm [237k]
Installing [05/56, time/total: 00:01/00:04]: collection-basic [1k]

Installing [56/56, time/total: 00:05/00:05]: xdvi.x86_64-darwinlegacy [482k]
Time used for installing the packages: 00:05
running mktexlsr /usr/local/texlive/foo/texmf-dist ...
mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/foo/texmf-dist/ls-R...

running package-specific postactions
finished with package-specific postactions

 The following environment variables contain the string "tex"
 (case-independent).  If you're doing anything but adding personal
 directories to the system paths, they may well cause trouble somewhere
 while running TeX.  If you encounter problems, try unsetting them.

Add /usr/local/texlive/foo/texmf-dist/doc/man to MANPATH.
Add /usr/local/texlive/foo/texmf-dist/doc/info to INFOPATH.
Most importantly, add /usr/local/texlive/foo/bin/x86_64-darwinlegacy
to your PATH for current and future sessions.

Logfile: /usr/local/texlive/foo/install-tl.log
****

Yesterday the entirety of the console output after
"finished with package-specific postactions"
was missing

In its place there was something like

scheme-custom undefined

I have forgotten the exact wording.

I have only about 4G left on my hard-disk so I can not repeat
the process of yesterday where about 4,1G were installed
into /usr/local/texlive,

yesterday I had said "Yes" to

**** <start of quote>
If you want the selection of schemes/collections and various options being
taken over press `y', otherwise anything else.

Import settings from previous TeX Live installation: (y/n):
****

This seems to have put the installer into some type of error
condition at the end, having to do with with scheme-custom
being "undefined",
and it aborted before prompting about making PATH update.

Sorry I can't repeat the whole process, barring removing
/usr/local/texlive/2017 and re-installing. As mentioned
above I have only 4,5G left on my disk and don't want to
go higher. At end of pretest period I will reclaim
the 3,2G from my local dist rsync'ed tlpretest mirror.

And I don't want to have Time Machine again spin for
hours over wifi to backup the 4G

Best

Jean-François