[tex-live] xetex.def

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue May 9 12:25:46 CEST 2017

Hello all,

Following a bug report for (x)dvipdfmx box scaling, we are talking a
look at xetex.def and dvidpfmx.def to fix that and related issues. This
raises a question: what is the reason for having two .def files here. A
quick test suggests that XeTeX (xdvipdfmx) can happily use dvipdfmx.def
with the exception of a few lines at the end of the file: those could
easily be made conditional.

Reading over the comments, I see some about the older non-xdvipdfmx
drivers for XeTeX, but these are as far as I know no longer in use
(particularly for anyone likely to use an updated .def file). Are there
any particular reasons that XeTeX needs a separate driver today?

Joseph