[tex-live] BIBINPUTS and quoted pathes

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Mon May 1 15:11:48 CEST 2017

Dear Ulrike,

> BIBINPUTS="C:\Users\XXX\Documents\tests\tex"
>
> C:\Users\XXX\Documents\tests>bibtex test-utf8
> This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2017/W32TeX)
> The top-level auxiliary file: test-utf8.aux
> The style file: plain.bst
> I couldn't open database file testxxxxx.bib
>

> Is this to be expected. And if yes how do one set it then for pathes
> with spaces?

Yes that is expected, because BIBINPUTS is
"C:\Users\XXX\Documents\tests\tex" including quotation mark " in cmd.exe,
that is not an existing path.
In the case of paths with spaces, setting it is easy:
set BIBINPUTS=C:/Users/XXX YYY ZZZ/Documents/tests/tex//;C:/other dirs/a//

I recommend forward slashes instead of backward slashes.

Best,
Akira