[tex-live] Build binaries with static libraries

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Mar 30 01:24:11 CEST 2017

Hi Vladimir,

    Is it possible to build binaries for TeX Live 2017 with static
    libraries?

We already build everything possible statically, and on oldish systems,
precisely to minimize these problems. xindy and asy are inherently
problematic. Just be glad TeX works (if it does).

readline and ncurses are fundamental libraries. Arch surely provides
them? If Arch chooses to break every existing binary by bumping the
version number (if that's what happened), we can't help that. Maybe they
provide their own asy, at least.

Regarding asy, the author tells us that readline and GL are important
parts of the functionality, so we don't want to remove them, and it's
impractical to compile all of X (which is what it would amount to).
Most of the other deps are induced from GL.

Regarding xindy.run (aka clisp), it seems there is a nearly-undocumented
configure option, --with-no-termcap-ncurses. I'll try it.

Thanks,
Karl