[tex-live] fmtutil doesn't recognize '--no-strict' as an option

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Mar 14 16:05:47 CET 2017

Hi Henrik,

thanks for your interest! Great to hear that TeX Live is included into
Termux, I myself am using it ;-)

>     fmtutil-sys $common_fmtutil_args --no-strict --all<http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/install-tl-unx.tar.gz>

Which is correct.

> but the latest available fmtutil.pl script (in texlive-20160523b-source.tar.xz<ftp://ftp.tug.org/texlive/historic/2016/texlive-20160523b-source.tar.xz>) doesn't recognize '--no-strict' as an option and therefore gives an error(warning?) when running the script install-tl.

Because this is *NOT* the fmtutil you should use at all.

The source.tar.xz *ONLY* builds the binaries and creates a few links, but
it does *NOT* provide a working system.

TeX Live is daily updated, I have updated fmtutil(.pl) several times
over the last few days, and these changes are shipped out to the
users immediately.

That means, yes, the *BINARIES* built from the above source.tar.xz are
still the same in TeX Live, but consider all of the "executables" which
are actual links into the texmf-dist tree in a way that the authorative
source *is* the svn, or the current tlnet checkout.

> The problem is solved with the latest development version of fmtutil.pl available from the texlive svn-tree<https://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/texlive/linked_scripts/texlive/fmtutil.pl>.

THis is not a problem, but on purpose.

> Perhaps the install-tl script shouldn't call fmtutil with '--no-strict' before texlive 2017 is released?<https://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/texlive/linked_scripts/texlive/fmtutil.pl?>

The install-tl-unx script you are using *should*not*use* the scripts
in the source.tar file, but make a proper installation.

If you are interested, Debian (by myself), SuSE, RedHat and many others have
made packages. The Debian packages are in fact on the status of
about tlnet Feb/2017.

If you need further details, or want me to look into anything, please
contact us, best on tldistro at tug.org

All the best

Norbert
(responsible, for tlmgr, fmtutil.pl, updmap.pl, ..., and Debian packages)

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer