[tex-live] texlive: personal macros

Nelson, Philip C pcn at physics.upenn.edu
Wed Jun 7 21:54:02 CEST 2017

Hi

I just installed TexLive2017 on a Mac running OSX10.11.1. I am trying to place some custom macros where TexLive will find them. I tried
~/texmf
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
~/Library/texmf

None of these worked, contrary to what I thought I understood in https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-430005 ! In each case when my TeX file says \input macros, TeX says it can't find macros.tex that I placed in the above locations.

I did check that, when I place the macros in the same folder with the main .tex file, everything runs fine.

Although I didn't change anything after installation, I did try
tlmgr conf
and confirmed that TEXMFLOCAL=/urs/local/texlive/texmf-local
                   TEXMFHOME=/Users/<me>/Library/texmf

By the way, the files I placed have permissions
-rw-r--r--@
and the folder texmf has permissions
drwxr-xr-x

So I'm stumped!