[tex-live] Upgrade from texlive 2016

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 17 22:56:56 CEST 2017

On 2017-07-17 at 06:21:28 +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:

 > [....]
 >
 > Some time later, Harald König told me that it happened to him, after an
 > upgrade in texlive 2016 ,that now his /usr/local/texlive/2016 contains
 > texlive 2017.
 >
 > Being back at home I checked my updated 2016 tree, and discovered the
 > same. Actually, in my case it wasn't important if I have still the 2016
 > lying around. So, instead to recover from backup I deleted the 2016
 > (containing 2017) tree.

Hi Manfred,
now I understand what happened to you.

Maybe tlmgr could compare the first line of the file
"texlive/<YYYY>/release-texlive.txt" (if it exists) with that in the
repository and abort with an error message if release numbers don't
match.

If someone wants to upgrade deliberately, all s?he has to do is to
remove the file "release-texlive.txt" from the local directory.

Norbert, what do you think?  Requesting people to remove a file is
probably better than adding yet another optional argument to tlmgr.
A good error message is unavoidable anyway.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de