[tex-live] unicode-math now unable to process $\widetilde{\mathbf{a}}$

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Jan 25 10:06:20 CET 2017

Am Wed, 25 Jan 2017 14:39:15 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

> Hi Will,
>
> (please keep Cc, thanks!)
>
> Norbert here. Downstream at Debian, but it is the same in upstream TeX Live,
> I got a bug report that the latest version of unicode-math does not work
> properly with xelatex. The following minimal working example breaks
> under xelatex:
>
> 	\documentclass{article}
> 	\usepackage{unicode-math}
>
> 	\begin{document}
> 	  $\widetilde{\mathbf{a}}$
> 	\end{document}
>
> With the following error:
> 	Error message:
> 	! Internal error: bad native font flag in `map_char_to_glyph'
>

> Do you have an idea what might have triggered this?

The problem is that \mathbf doesn't use a font with math table and
accent commands don't like this. You can find quite a number of
questions about this on tex.sx. E.g.
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/214570/try-to-use-ams-blackboard-bold-font-together-with-texgyrepagella

The correct input would be \symbf. Or you must hide the \mathbf in a
box:

\documentclass{article}
	\usepackage{unicode-math}

	\begin{document}
	  $\widetilde{\symbf{a}} \widetilde{\mbox{$\mathbf{a}$}}$
	\end{document}

(\widetilde{\text{$\mathbf{a}$}} with amsmath work too)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/