[tex-live] Bug in TexLive installer

Hironobu Yamashita h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:29:36 CET 2017

hello,

2017/01/19 3:29, hz hzmonte <hzmonte at hotmail.com>:

> The unpack location may have nothing to do with the instal location,
> but I just want to keep them together/close.  I saw no warning against
> doing that.  Neither did I see warning against picking a directory with
> spaces in its path; after all, it is expected that one would install a
> program in c:\program files.

In my humble opinion, both the unpack location and the install location
should not contain spaces. Of course no warning would be thrown by
the installer itself even when the path contains spaces, but it's simply
because such usage is not considered; that means, unsupported. It
may or may not work, nobody knows. Why not try with space-free
paths? And, It would be more helpful to know that some programs in
TeX Live will fail to run when it is installed under c:\program files\etc,
as individual authors of each program may or may not support spaces
in file paths.

Also, the installer itself will become mere trash after successful install;
there is no reason to keep them together/closer.

Hironobu Yamashita