[tex-live] texhash not updating ls-R-TEXLIVEDIST

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 23:20:55 CET 2017

> On 2017-12-08 at 08:58:52 -0500, gml at garymlewis.com wrote:

> Whenever you invoke a command with sudo, a small typo can break the
> whole system.  Use sudo with care and avoid it whenever possible.
> Always maintain your own stuff as a non-privileged user.

IMHO the whole concept of sudo is wrong and I never use it. It allows
unprivileged user to do privileged things. If you have your own personal
computer and do not share it with anybody, then it makes no sense not to
know the root password. You can then do "su -" and enter the root password
and you know that your actions are potentially dangerous. If the computer
is shared by several people then it is stupid to give them the right to use
sudo. A privileged administrator should take care of the system setup,
security etc, other user should not have right to access system settings.
Thus sudo with unlimited rights is wrong.

> Regards,
>   Reinhard

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz