[tex-live] cannot install TeXLive

Michael Shell list1 at michaelshell.org
Sun Aug 6 11:37:31 CEST 2017

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017 16:39:46 +0800
david Voyance <dvoyance at gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot install TeXLive and i am using windows 10
> Attached is the screen of my computer.

In the future, copy and paste the relevant parts of the error message
text. No one wants to have to load an image viewer and zoom in to read
your text. Also, text in image files is not readily searchable from the
net and so in the future others with the same problem won't find the
solution.

A quick net search for

texlive "can't spawn cmd.exe"

revealed:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/83363/problem-with-installing-tex-live-under-windows-8
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/139908/problem-installing-tex-live-under-windows-8-resistant-to-past-fixes
http://tex-live.tug.narkive.com/KwMPlG2t/error-on-texlive-2013-installation-can-t-spawn-cmd-exe

which suggests the most likely cause is an improper PATH variable
setup.

The original PATH variable can be found here:

https://superuser.com/questions/973153/standard-value-of-path-variable-windows-10

and is

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

in which %SystemRoot% is usually set to C:\Windows

also:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3234-environment-variables-windows-10-a.html

  Cheers,

  Mike Shell