[tex-live] possible bug or mistake ...

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 05:29:17 CEST 2017

I imagine people are doing this for the sake of XeTeX, and not really to
use TeX fonts in LibreOffice...so it should be on TL's lap the
responsibility to get these fonts to XeTeX without damaging anything else
on the machine - specially a PDF viewer, like Evince.

It definitely should come out of the manual -- because under the tow of
that section, tons of people are recommending that all over SX and other
places. Better yet, the section should probably say

     ** DO NOT DO THIS ** It was recommended in the past, but we know
better now that ....

In the TeX world we are acquainted with a lot of blind-recipes like updmap,
mktexlsr, texhash, ... some of them people have no idea what is going on,
so if it is  a recipe out there - it should be a good one!

I still do not know who is at fault here... Is it the PDF file?
PST-barcode? fc-cache? The machine? Evince?

Paulo Ney