[tex-live] Asymptote on TL2016 - problem

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 23:13:29 CEST 2016

To track the source of the problem I did a plain vanilla install of TL 2016
on top of a vanilla install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I installed nothing else
and updated TL. Running Asymptote on gets:

$ which asy
/usr/local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux/asy
$ asy
asy: error while loading shared libraries: libglut.so.3: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

ldd shows that libglut is indeed missing, and can be fixed with:

sudo apt-get install freeglut3

Is that supposed to be the normal situation? Should this be remaked on
post-install notes?

Paulo Ney