[tex-live] New kpathsea variable

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 28 00:31:51 CEST 2016

    https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/336067/change-default-metafonts-mode-resolution-as-when-called-directly-from-pdflatex

Sorry, but changing pdftex to require a dpi value in texmf.cnf, instead
of having it in the fmt, just doesn't sound right to me.

The current state is that people can easily change the mode/dpi
per-document, as Martin wrote. It's not clear to me that it should be
"easy" to change the system default. For one thing, it's going to be
different with other engines.

I had thought there was a way to override the .fmt settings with
environment variables, but it seems pdftex does not allow for that. (That
much would be easy enough to change, with no impact on anything.)

BTW, if the difference between bitmaps generated for "ljfzzz" and those
generated for "ultre" is not a concern, setting the resolution to 1200
suffices.

I suspect the preferred answer would be to autotrace the shuffle font
and get rid of the need for bitmaps in the first place ... --thanks, k.