[tex-live] bibtex apalike.tex/.sty

Daniel H. Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Thu Oct 27 23:45:01 CEST 2016

texlive at schoepfer.info wrote:

>While looking through the docs, here and there one finds .doc-files.
>It feels a bit strange and pointless to me to use a another/proprietary
>format for tex-documentation.

Years ago, the extension .doc was used to indicate a heavily
commented .sty file. The comments provided documentation of
the package. One could simply rename these files with .sty endings
or run them through some tex macros (collectively referred to
as docstrip) to remove the comments. This was a precursor of
the current .dtx packaging system.

Many of these .doc files are left over from that era. One of
these is apalike.doc (which should really be deleted because
apalike.sty has since been changed and actually has even
more comments).

Cheers,

Daniel H. Luecking, Graduate Coordinator
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
Fayetteville, AR, USA